In 1944, Canadian Car and Foundry entered into a licensing agreement with American manufacturer ACF-Brill to manufacture and sell buses of their design in the Canadian market. 2040 is the only surviving unit from the first two batches of trolley coaches, all produced by CCF-Brill, purchased by the BC Electric Railway in 1947 and 1948. These were the vehicles that ushered in Vancouver’s trolleybus era with the ‘rails-to-rubber’ campaign.There were a total of 82 44-seat vehicles purchased before the company standardized on the larger, higher-capacity T48 model. Some of these earlier buses were disposed of at a young age in 1962 due to a downturn in ridership and their lower seating capacity. Ten of them were sold to the Edmonton Transit System while the rest were scrapped.2040 was among the last handful of T44s to operate in BC, having been retired from service by the BC Hydro & Power Authority (BC Hydro) in 1976. 2040 joined the now-defunct BC Transportation Museum. After spending some years in inoperable condition, 2040 has been fully restored to operating condition and sees occasional use in TMS excursions.